Tuesday, February 4, 2014

An Ode to Oatmeal

I'm not an oatmeal fan. I will eat it from time to time, when it gets cold enough (which it rarely does), but even when I do it's really just a vessel for brown sugar. The ratio of toppings to oatmeal is generally somewhere around 12:1. Those aren't good odds.

Then Molly posted this recipe and since I'm a sucker for anything Molly makes (she lived in France for goodness sake - she's a credible culinary resource!), I tried it.

And it was good.

Really good. Toasty and warm and smooth and exactly what I wanted even when I didn't know I ever wanted oatmeal. Emilie wasn't sold. But then her bowl went cold and she gobbled it down. Then she ate another. And another still at dinner. I like mine with bananas and honey, but Emilie prefers her (cold, of course) with plain yogurt, honey and frozen blueberries.

The next day, after the giant batch had been finished off by this small girl and her slightly smaller child, I decided to make another pot, but with a few changes, and it was divine.

Steel-Cut Toasted Oatmeal
Adapted from "Whole Grain Mornings" by Megan Gordon.

1 tbsp butter
1 cup steel-cut oats
2 small apples, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup whole milk
3 cups water
Pinch of Salt


Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add oats, apples and cinnamon and stir for about 5 minutes until browning begins. I didn't have apples when I made the batch for photos so use your imagination, okay?


this is the secret to perfect oatmeal. like with risotto, you have to toast the oats first to give them some flavor. otherwise they just taste like paste, you know? 

Pour in liquids and salt. Watch this mixture as it may boil, burn and ruin your day! 
Once it comes to a simmer, lower the heat and cover partially.




Stir occasionally until all liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Turn off heat and cover completely for 5 minutes.




Like I said, Emilie and I have our preferred topping combinations (and serving temperatures), but these would be amazing with almost any combination of sweeteners and fruit!




Make this. Eat this. Thank me later :)



No comments:

Post a Comment