Friday, August 30, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies (shh they're vegan!)

Stop. I saw that. You took one look at the word Vegan and decided to go to a different tab. Well don't because these are seriously the best cookies I've made in a long time, and I make a mean cookie. 

Speaking of tabs, I have one, two... 16 tabs open right now that are all vegan recipes I've either tried this week or plan to try in the coming weeks. So far, so so so good. But first, cookies. 

This recipe was adapted from one that I found on a new-to-me blog that I quickly fell completely in love with, Happy. Healthy. Life.  I happened to have almost all of the ingredients (or something similar like almond butter instead of peanut butter and whole wheat flour instead of spelt) already lying around (except the chocolate chips because I can't keep them in the house without devouring the entire bag. I have a helper, of course, but she is very small and only eat one chip at a time so I can't really pass much blame onto her...) so after a quick walk to the store (I seriously love the location of our new apartment) I got to work. (Sorry about all the parenthetical statements)


Guys, these cookies are seriously so good. I will warn you that they are very coconutty, but I don't mind that at all and even Chad, who normally isn't a coconut fan, ate his fair share (2/12 is fair, right?) of the batch. In fact, the batch only lasted about a day - for shame! - so I had to make a second in order to include a picture with this post. 


So without further ado (and so I can eat these final cookies), I give you... 





Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from Happy. Healthy. Life

Dry: 

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unbleached all purpose flour 
1/3 tsp sea or kosher salt 
1 1/2 Tbsp freshly ground flax seeds**
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Wet:
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp organic sugar (I use raw sugar) 
2 tsp unsalted almond butter butter (optional)
1/2 cup + 2 tsp melted virgin coconut oil
2 Tbsp almond milk 

1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (don't worry, you don't taste it) 
1/2 tsp real vanilla extract

Glorious: 
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 


** A note on flax seeds: A great source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, flax seeds are a teeny tiny nutritional powerhouse.  I know that these are something that most omnivores probably have in their pantries and honestly I didn't either until about a week ago when I bought them to add to smoothies. Buy some, but don't add them to your smoothie. These little guys are great and super nutty tasting, but they do weird things to liquids (that's why they can be an egg replacer) and my smoothie was paste-thick in about 5 minutes. Go ahead and sprinkle them on top of your smoothie, or anything with peanut butter or any nut butter, or grind them up and use them in your cookies to make them gloriously nutty and delicious. 


Directions: 


  • In a large bowl combine your flours, flax seed, salt and baking soda. 
  • In a separate bowl whisk together sugar, almond butter (or not), coconut oil, almond milk, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk it good! 
  • Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until combined (it will be much thinner than the dough you're probably used to, but trust me!), then fold in the chocolate chips. 
  • Dump dough onto a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap and shape into a long log (let the diameter be the size you want your cookies to be), wrap it tight and toss it in the freezer. 
  • Preheat oven to 350* F. 
  • When oven is heated, remove dough from freezer and slice into cookies, about 1/2" thick. 
  • Place on cookie sheet and bake until just golden on top and crispy around the edges. 
  • Let cool and enjoy! 


Oh, the density of these cookies! They are not delicate so I won't use any term like that, but I will pull a Gordon Ramsay on you and say that they are STUNNING. Crispy, golden, gooey (coconut oil has a very low melting temperature, which means these cookies stayed fairly melty in my kitchen until the moment they were all gone... five minutes later) ... yum! You won't miss the eggs and butter at all, I promise, and I like to think that their vegan-ness makes these cookies guilt-free, although I wouldn't probably suggest you consider them healthy. There are those flax seeds, though...  




No comments:

Post a Comment